If your favorite fur coat or hat has lost its attractive appearance, you can not rush to the dry cleaners, but return them to their former gloss on their own. The same with home textiles: pillows, blankets and faux fur carpets. You just need to know how to do it right. We will figure out how to clean the fur at home quickly and effectively.
No time to read? Told in the video about the rules for cleaning fur at home
All about self-cleaning fur things
Should I clean
What not to do
Dry dust cleaning
How to clean natural material
— Silver fox and arctic fox
— Otter, muskrat, chinchilla
— goat, rabbit
How to bring back the shine
How to clean artificial material
How to remove a stain
How to get rid of yellowness
Everyone knows that it is easier to clean off a small amount of dirt than to deal with a large amount of dirt. Greasy areas and spots are immediately noticeable on the fur product, but if there are none or very few, it seems clean. In fact, everything may not be so: cleaning is already needed, but this is not obvious to the owner. A simple test will help. It is done like this.
- The thing is taken out of the closet, hung on a coat hanger.
- Take a hair dryer, set the mode of cold blowing.
- Turn on the device, direct the nozzle to the fur. Carefully look at the treated area.
If the villi under the blower easily scatter, and then fit into place, we can assume that cleaning is not needed. Contaminated hairs stick together and cannot fly apart. They definitely need to be cleaned.
What is forbidden when cleaning fur things
Before looking for cleaning methods, you need to find out what to do is strictly prohibited. Fur is a capricious material, it can be easily spoiled. We’ve put together a list of what you absolutely can’t do.
- Direct exposure to heat rays during drying is unacceptable. Dry the fur fabric in a warm room that is well ventilated, or on the street. Direct sunlight, heaters or hair dryers are strictly prohibited.
- Can’t be erased. Both machine and hand washing are equally dangerous for fur surfaces. Wetting does not go unnoticed for them.
- Aggressive chemicals such as bleach products, enzyme powders or rust removers should not be used.
- Ironing a thing is strictly prohibited. Exposure to high temperatures will irrevocably damage the material.
How to remove dust
Sometimes just removing the dust is enough. It’s easy to do. A white clean sheet is moistened in water and squeezed well. The fabric should be slightly damp, a fur thing is wrapped in it. The bundle is laid out on a hard, flat surface and carefully knocked out on both sides. After that, the fabric is removed, the product is vigorously shaken and hung on a coat hanger. Now you need to comb the villi. Do this with any massage brush or a flat comb with sparse teeth. If the fur has fallen off or is very tangled, it is first sprayed with clean water from a spray bottle and allowed to dry. After that, comb. You can straighten the villi with a steamer, but this must be done at a minimum temperature and very carefully. There is a great risk of spoiling the thing.
Natural material cleaning
If dust removal did not help restore things to their original appearance, it needs to be cleaned. Natural fur is especially capricious, it is very easy to spoil it. Therefore, before cleaning the product, you need to check the safety of the selected composition on some inconspicuous fragment. We offer a selection of effective methods for cleaning natural fur of different types.
Silver fox and arctic fox
The best way to clean fox and silver fox fur at home is to use shampoo. Any of the shampoos for hair will do, but it is better to take a special composition for washing animals. A good alternative would be wool detergent or regular gasoline.
They are diluted with water so that a weak solution is obtained. Wet a soft cloth or cotton pad in the liquid, wring it out well and treat the surface of the thing with it. You can do otherwise. The solution is poured into a spray bottle, the product is evenly sprayed. After that, take a clean terry towel, wipe the pile with it and let it dry.
Otter, muskrat, chinchilla
In nature, animals clean themselves with sand. The same method is used for fur products. They take sand, if necessary, pre-wash it. Clean granules are heated in a dry frying pan. Hot sand is sprinkled over the sunken areas, even rubbed lightly and left for a while. Then shake off the contaminated grains of sand. Carefully inspect the item. If dirt remains, repeat the procedure.
For cleaning use a mixture of alcohol, vinegar and water, taken in equal proportions. A sponge dipped in this liquid is used to clean the fur product. Then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Light rabbit fur can be cleaned differently. Any bran is heated in the microwave. Sprinkle them with a fur surface and gently rub into the pile. After the bran has cooled, they are brushed off. If necessary, the manipulation is repeated.
There is an easy way to clean mink fur at home. Prepare a solution from equal parts of table vinegar and water. The fabric is moistened in it and the fur surface is treated with it. Leave to dry. If the mink has glossy areas, a thick slurry is prepared from gasoline and sawdust. Apply it on the stain and leave for half an hour, then brush it off. If it was not possible to immediately remove all the fat, the procedure is repeated.
How to care for mezdra
Caring for natural fur at home involves the restoration of the mezdra. This is especially true after cleaning the product. After it, the mezdra can coarsen, become stiff and brittle. If this happens, you need to urgently correct the situation. A liquid remedy is prepared: a little vaseline or glycerin is diluted in a liter of heated water, one yolk is added. Mix well. The thing is turned inside out, laid out on a flat surface. With a cotton swab, apply the mixture to the core. At the same time, it is crushed and slightly sipped to the sides. The material should become softer and more ductile. The remains of the product are removed with a sponge, and the product is left to dry. You can not speed up the process with a hair dryer, heater and any other devices.
How to bring back the shine
This can be done by treating with an aqueous solution of table vinegar or lemon juice. The ingredients are diluted in a ratio of 1:1. The surface is treated with a swab dipped in liquid, allowed to dry and combed. You can also refresh the thing with nut butter. Walnut kernels are crushed, wrapped in gauze and rubbed on the surface of a hat or fur coat.
How to clean faux fur at home
Artificial materials are less capricious than natural ones. They can even be washed, but only on the “delicate wash” mode and without spinning. The product dries for a long time, so you need to hang it in a well-ventilated place.
And yet it is better to do without washing. There are several effective ways to clean faux fur.
- A gruel of liquid dish detergent and starch is applied to the surface and spread evenly with a brush. Leave for a while, then wipe with a damp sponge. You can leave it to dry completely, then clean the thing with a brush.
- Mix an equal amount of water and alcohol, add a few drops of glycerin. Moisten a napkin in this liquid, wring out and wipe the pile. Then wipe again with a dry, clean cloth.
- A tablespoon of washing powder without a bleaching effect is dissolved in a liter of warm water. In the resulting solution, moisten the sponge and clean the fur coat with it. Remove dirty foam with a damp cloth.
How to remove a stain
Spots often appear on fur clothes. While they are fresh, you can try to remove them with simple home remedies. If the product is dark in color, a mixture of gasoline and starch is suitable. Gasoline is best to take a well-refined high-octane. The ingredients are mixed until a thick slurry is obtained. It is applied to the stain, gently rubbed. After 5-7 minutes, the mixture is removed with a damp sponge. Allow the fragment to dry and comb it.
For light tones, such a tool is not suitable — a bright yellowness will appear. Instead of gasoline, they take alcohol or acetone, mix it with soda or starch.
How to remove yellowing
White fur eventually acquires a persistent yellow tint. The white tips of the dark villi of the silver fox or arctic fox also turn yellow. This greatly spoils the look of the product. The problem can be solved, there are home remedies for yellowing.
- A tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide is dissolved in a glass of warm water. Apply the mixture to the villi, allow to dry, comb.
- Half a tablespoon of ammonia and a tablespoon of salt are dissolved in a glass of warm water. Moisten a cloth with liquid, clean the product with it. Let dry and brush.
- A tablespoon of pet shampoo is dissolved in a glass of water. Beat a dense foam, apply it to the thing. After 5-10 minutes, carefully remove the foam with a sponge, allow to dry and comb.