Seasonal cold snaps are associated for owners of private houses with an increase in the cost of installing heating systems and significant family budget spending on heating housing to increase the level of living comfort. Effective and practical, do-it-yourself external insulation of the house and wall decoration with high-quality building materials, with a low heat transfer coefficient, helps to isolate significant wall surfaces, reducing heat loss.
Increasing the productivity of modern heating systems and protecting walls from possible changes in temperature and humidity can provide significant savings in the costs required for the purchase and payment of energy resources.
Such activities have a positive effect on increasing the life of residential buildings and utility rooms; for their implementation, it is necessary to carefully select heat-insulating materials with a set of excellent performance characteristics.
Brief content of the article:
Advantages of external foam insulation
Among a wide variety of insulation and finishing materials, foam plastic is a foamed mass structure and is particularly popular due to ease of installation and light weight of ready-to-install panels.
Having carefully studied the photo of the insulation of the house with polystyrene foam and its performance characteristics, you can choose the best project for implementation, taking into account the advantages that are noticeable when using this type of insulation:
- polystyrene of any density does not absorb moisture, preventing the growth of fungi and the occurrence of condensate;
- differs in the increased indicators of thermal insulation protecting external walls from excess heat losses;
- the material is easily cut, cut and mounted without the need to involve specialists in working with it;
- the light weight of the sheets ensures the convenience of transportation and transportation of purchased building materials to the installation site;
- physical and mechanical characteristics of the material guarantees a long service life as a heater;
- foam insulation can withstand sudden changes in temperature, and provides excellent sound insulation;
- does not need additional measures for waterproofing, protecting the walls from freezing and moisture.
To save the internal space of housing, experts recommend using foam sheets for arranging external insulation, using a special technology for attaching this material to vertical surfaces.
Preparatory work for the upcoming insulation must begin with the choice of foam for insulation, the materials on the market must be carefully studied and the best option selected.
Types of foam for insulation measures
All types of foam offered by manufacturers are manufactured in various ways, finished products differ not only in name, but also in such indicators as appearance and physical and mechanical characteristics.
When determining which foam is better for insulation, it is necessary to consider all the proposed options and focus on the operational parameters of the materials, the most popular among builders are:
- polystyrene foam. It can be press and non-press, outwardly representing a set of small balls that are tightly fastened together;
- extrusion material. A denser structure allows for optimal moisture insulation and does not let wet or dry air into the insulating layers;
- polyurethane foam. It is more often used in the manufacture of furniture and in appearance it looks like ordinary foam rubber, inferior in quality to the first two types of insulation.
Modern types of insulation include a special type of material with the use of which liquid foam insulation is carried out, which has its advantages compared to sheet building materials.
The purchased foam must comply with generally accepted quality standards, confirmed by special certification documentation, which indicates the specification and marking for properties, be sure to observe the necessary storage mode.
Selection of consumables based on its physical and mechanical parameters
When choosing a foam, it is important to pay attention to its condition and especially the granules of the material, which must be of the same size, evenly distributed over the structure, the dimensions of the sheets cannot be different and differ significantly.
When selecting, you can focus on general characteristics and visually determine the quality parameters by comparing several sheets that must be taken into account when purchasing, in order to avoid unnecessary expenses and expenses:
- absolute coincidence of thickness;
- the same density and structure;
- even cutting of all sides and corners;
- color or shade identity.
Good foam plastic, which has excellent performance parameters, does not lose its physical and mechanical properties during long-term use and increases the efficiency of the insulation procedures carried out, keeping the house warm and comfortable.
In the process of its storage, until the upcoming installation work, it is important to maintain a certain temperature regime in the utility or domestic premises and periodically ventilate.
Technological stages of the insulation process
Self-insulation of the house with foam plastic from the outside is carried out in stages, according to a simple technological process with minimal involvement of complex work and a limited set of tools:
- preparation of the facade and surfaces and treatment of walls with a primer;
- fixing foam on the facade or gluing sheets;
- additional fastening of dowels preventing displacement;
- puttying the resulting surface in order to level it;
- applying a decorative coating of any chosen type.
To decorate the corners of a residential building with complex architecture, a reinforcing corner is necessarily used, which allows you to maintain the shape of the sheets and ensures a long service life of the finished structure.
In the course of all work, a small set of special tools is used, the use of which requires mandatory compliance with safety regulations; for the gluing process, special glue is purchased with different drying times.
The effective thickness of the insulation of the house with foam plastic depends on many factors, which include the area of the insulated surface and the necessary parameters for heat saving and maintaining a comfortable microclimate in the home.
A well-chosen protective and decorative coating will ensure the formation of a variety of textures, the plaster looks great on large surfaces and makes it possible to create an attractive composition with landscape design.
A simple and inexpensive technology for insulating a house with foam plastic does not require the involvement of qualified specialists in the implementation of the project, whose work can cost more than purchasing the necessary materials and accessories.
Photo of house insulation with polystyrene foam