Decide what problems you are going to solve with the help of an air cleaner.
This will determine its price. There are many air purification technologies, each of which solves some problems better, others worse. How many cleaning technologies the selected air purifier model uses will determine its cost.
- A large amount of dust.
- Air cleaners with electrostatic (plasma) filters: These filters attract dust with an electric charge, easy to clean, you do not have to constantly order replacement filters. But if there is really a lot of dust, then the device will not be able to cope with it. Also remember that electrostatic cleaners can only remove up to 90% of dust. If better cleaning is required (there are children, allergy sufferers, asthmatics in the house), then it is better to choose the next option.
- Air cleaners with HEPA filters: the filter is easy to maintain: it is vacuumed once a month and changed every six months or a year, depending on the degree of air pollution. The HEPA filter is the most effective dust remover because it form a continuous barrier on the way of moving air, and even a microscopic speck of dust or bacteria will not be able to fly past, lingering in the pores of the filter. When a high degree of dust removal is required, an air purifier with a HEPA filter is the best choice.
- Air cleaners — ionizers deposit dust flying in the air on horizontal surfaces, thereby purifying the air. They do not collect dust inside the air cleaner housing, you do not have to rinse or change the filter. Therefore, such air cleaners are suitable for those who want to avoid the additional cost of maintaining an air cleaner, but who are ready to collect dust from surfaces more often with a vacuum cleaner or a rag.
- Allergy to dust. Here the main problem is the smallest dust invisible to the eye, it is this that causes sneezing attacks, reddening of the eyes and allergic rhinitis in allergy sufferers. Your choice
- Air cleaners with HEPA filters — remove the smallest dust particles from the air, cleaning efficiency — up to 99.9%. The best remedy for the prevention of allergies has not yet been invented.
Air cleaners with electrostatic filters— less effective than with HEPA filters, because dust is attracted to the plates only due to the electric charge, and the plates are located at some distance from each other, i.e. some of the dust flies by. Cleaning efficiency 81-90%.
- Air wash — purify the air by driving it through a sprayed suspension of water. Water washes away the smallest particles of pollutants, leaving no chance for them to return to the air of the room. Air washers with pre-ionization are the most effective. charged dust is better attracted to the drum plates. Cleaning efficiency — 80-95%.
- Air purifiers-humidifiers – humidify with the help of an evaporative filter in the water or water sprayed inside the device itself. Cleaning is also done with a water suspension. The quality of cleaning is 80-90%.
- Air cleaners — ionizers with remote ionization, producing a large number of ions around the air cleaner, are able to remove a maximum of allergens from the air, depositing them on the surface.
It is important to remember that allergies are caused not only by dust itself, but also by dust mites, mold, fungus,by destroying which, you will eliminate the very cause of the allergy. Photocatalytic air purifiers and air purifiers — ozonizers will help to cope with dust mites and mold, but photocatalysis and ozonation in the chosen air purifier must be supplemented by one of the previous cleaning options — a filter that removes the dust itself.
- Photocatalytic air cleaners purify and disinfect the air due to the interaction of UV light and a catalyst, decompose toxic chemical compounds, destroy microorganisms.
- Air purifiers — ozonizers — ozone also decomposes toxic substances, kills microorganisms and microbes due to its powerful oxidizing properties. Ozonizers can be used when there are no people in the room.
- Photocatalytic air cleaners — ionizers, it is better if they are with an electrostatic filter, because. it is easier to wash it from precipitated nicotine resins. If you choose a HEPA filter, you will have to change it quite often. Photocatalysis decomposes toxic elements of tobacco smoke, ionization disperses the smoke, and an electrostatic filter deposits resins and purifies them with micro-doses of ozone.
Air purifiers — ozonizersbreak down smoke into harmless carbon dioxide and water.
- Photocatalytic air cleaners– decompose any odors in the presence of people.
- Photocatalytic air cleaners — disinfecting, disinfecting the air using ultraviolet radiation and photocatalysis reactions, in which most microbes, bacteria and viruses die.
Air purifiers — ozonizers— the best choice, because ozone is 2-3 times more effective than ultraviolet; processing time will be much less. In standard mode, such devices are able to disinfect the air using ionization.
- Air purifiers-humidifiersHumidify and purify the air through filtration.
- Ionizer— ionization improves the general condition of the body, strengthens the immune system, improves mood.
3. Decide if you are ready to bear the additional cost of maintaining the selected air cleaner or want to buy it now and spend a minimum of money on maintaining clean air in the future.
If spending does not scare you, you can safely choose air cleaners with filters, they have the highest degree of air purification, because. several stages of air purification in any case is better. If additional costs are burdensome for you, then choose filterless air cleaners: air cleaners — ionizers, ozonizers, photocatalytic, electrostatic (plasma), air washers.
Budget Air Purifierswhich have medium power and are suitable for cleaning a small area, do not have additional features.
But overall they do their job well. can cost from one and a half to 5-6 thousand rubles.
Mid-range devices are suitable for frequent usehave worthy characteristics and are chosen most often.
It is the devices for 8-15 thousand rubles usually found in apartments.
Premium products suitable for heavily polluted areasincluding industrial, private houses, large apartments.
Need to know! Their cost varies from 15 to 100 thousand rubles and is determined by the power, efficiency and number of available functions and modes.
If the device will be operated with an average frequency in an ordinary apartment, it is better to dwell on the options of the middle price category.
5. Be honest with yourself about how often and how much time you can devote to your air cleaner.
It cleans the air for you, but you, in turn, must clean it, otherwise it simply will not be able to work and will break.
- If you are ready to approach it every day, choose an air washer or an air cleaner-humidifier — in them you will have to change the water every three days and add water when it runs out.
- If it is not burdensome for you to care for your air cleaner once a week, an electrostatic (plasma) air purifier is your choice. Approximately once a week it is necessary to wash the electrostatic plates (filter) in it.
- If you want to spend a minimum of effort and remember to clean the device only once a month, then you should choose an air purifier — an ionizer, a photocatalytic purifier, an air purifier — an ozonizer or a purifier with replaceable filters (more often these are HEPA filters), which are enough to vacuum once a month.
TOP manufacturing companies
The highest quality devices are produced by those companies that are widely known all over the world (for example, Tefal, Philips, Polaris), and those that many have not heard of (Ballu, Atmos, Timberk).
Daikin brand specializes in premium air purifierscreated using innovative technologies.
As a rule, devices have a stylish design, a large number of additional functions, the possibility of remote control, but they are expensive.
The most popular models:
- Daikin MC70LVM;
- Daikin Ururu MCK75JVM K.
Manufacturer Bork has patented the unique Green 360° filter system.
Note! This system consists of an enzyme filter with antibacterial impregnation and a carbon filter with a catalytic element.
- BORK A802 RAIN;
- BORK A804;
- BORK A704;
- BORK A503;
- BORK A803.
One of the best known manufacturers — Philips. Most often, the devices use a HEPA filter, so that the air is very well cleaned.
The Philips AC3256/10 model is in demand with a tracking mode for the concentration of allergens in the air, a touch control system and a light indication of the degree of air pollution.
Air cleaner F-VXK70R from Panasonic with air humidification is one of the best among both its counterparts and competitors’ models.
It is equipped with several filters, a Green Tea Catechin filter layer with antiviral action and nanoparticles that attract allergens, viruses and fine dust particles.
Consider how often you are going to use the air cleaner.
It is optimal that it always works, and the air in the room is constantly clean and has high quality indicators necessary for your health.
- If you plan to operate the air cleaner around the clock and you want to save money, choose an air cleaner with low power consumption (see parameter — power consumption).
- If periodic use of an air cleaner is optimal for you, then air washers or air cleaners-humidifiers that cannot be left idle for a long time with flooded water are unlikely to suit you. she can sour. If you are ready to drain the water every time, disassemble the air cleaner and dry the parts, then the choice of air washers or air cleaners-humidifiers should not scare you.
⇡ # Electrostatic cleaners
The most common option in terms of price/quality ratio are electrostatic air cleaners. They do not have consumables, and the principle of operation is based on Coulomb’s law: the ionized air in the device begins to move and captures dust particles, which at the same time receive an electric charge of a certain sign. Plates with the opposite potential attract particles of dust and gases, thereby purifying the air.
A typical vertical AIC electrostatic air cleaner
Such devices purify the air with high efficiency from fine dust, soot and tobacco smoke (from particles less than 1 micron in size), giving comfort, freshness and the smell of ozone as a bonus in the case of a built-in ozone generator. Such an additional device is only beneficial, since in small concentrations ozone performs a bactericidal function, destroying harmful viruses, bacteria and toxins. Ozone also oxidizes phenolic resins, pesticides and unpleasant aromatic compounds.
A nightstand that looks like a computer case is The Design Air’s electrostatic air purifier
Quietness (that is, complete — due to the absence of moving elements) and low power consumption (28-40 W) can be called a tangible advantage of such devices. If the first indicator is critical for you, it makes sense to think about purchasing electrostatic cleaners.
Returning to the device of the ionizer, we can say that in itself it is useful without additional options, since the air is initially charged with ions. But passed through any filter, it loses its natural charge and becomes «dead». It is rather unpleasant and generally unsafe for a person and animals to be in such air, since it can provoke various diseases. A built-in or separate ionizer corrects this annoying flaw.
The Maxion vertical air purifier is simple, but has both an ionizer and an ozonizer
Now there are quite a few manufacturers of such cleaners, from Korean Maxion and Japanese Daikin to Russian Super Plus, Fanline, AIC, Atmos and other semi-known Russian-Chinese brands. Due to the simplicity of the design, such devices can be easily disassembled for cleaning, and for daily or round-the-clock work, it is recommended to do this about once a week. The procedure is simple: we clean the accumulated dust and fumes from the plates with a damp sponge or napkin, and, if desired, blow open internal parts.
Decide what features you need and who in your family will control the air cleaner settings.
Do you need several fan speeds to select more intense or background air purification and noise reduction at night? Or do you want your air purifier to have maximum capabilities — a timer for automatic cleaning in certain modes, air pollution sensors, a hygrometer (to measure humidity), night illumination, an air disinfection function in the absence of people? As you understand, all additional “bells and whistles” cost extra money, so decide right away whether you want to have them, or you won’t use them and will only get confused in a large number of buttons and modes. It all depends on what exactly you want to get: for someone it is important to have all kinds of functions, and for someone you just don’t want to understand them. Therefore, decide immediately so as not to regret later.
The cooler and more modern the air cleaner, the more additional functions it has.
It can be:
- regulator of the intensity of the device;
- the possibility of remote control using the remote control;
- display for displaying information about operating modes;
- automatic mode (the device turns on at a specified time and activates the selected parameters and modes);
- smartphone control;
- detectors that determine the level of contamination and select the optimal mode of operation;
- aromatization or inhalation function;
⇡ # Air washing
We have already briefly mentioned combinations of an air purifier and a humidifier in an article about humidifiers, and now we will once again mention these very expensive (on average 15-20 thousand rubles), but space-saving devices. They humidify the air and purify it at the same time: water is used as a filter.
The principle of operation of such a system is simple and effective: dirty air blows over a grounded water surface, dirt particles “stick” to the water surface under the action of electrostatic forces, and then dissolve (settle) in the water.
Air washer manufactured by Dantex
Among the disadvantages of such a system (in addition to the high price), one can note a lower quality cleaning compared to photocatalytic and HEPA filters, as well as high time costs: since an air humidifier is an integral part of the device, the water must be changed periodically (every 1-2 days) and top up.
There are options when the design of the air washer is not limited to a combine of a humidifier and a purifier. This can be supplemented by multi-stage air purification (mechanical, electrostatic, and actually “washing”), the presence of a room disinfection mode and a temperature controller. As well as everything else that comes to the mind of the manufacturer. And there are many of them: Electrolux, Daikin, NeoClima Panasonic, Polaris, Stadler Form, SUPRA, Atmos, Fanline, Venta, Boneco, BORK and other popular manufacturers of household appliances.
How to choose an air purifier for an apartment? As mentioned earlier, the main part of this type of device is the filter. Moreover, not only its functional characteristics are considered very important indicators, but also the material from which it is made.
Modern manufacturers offer several types of filters for air purifiers: ozonating, photocatalytic, carbon, water, HEPA filters, as well as electrostatic. It should be understood that each of the listed types has both advantages and disadvantages, therefore it is impossible to name the ideal filter right away — one should be selected individually, based on the main indicators of housing.
Experts strongly recommend paying attention to more expensive models — almost every one of them has several filters of different types. It is these devices that are capable of producing multi-stage cleaning, which is of better quality. To date, manufacturers of air purification systems offer several especially popular purifiers with multi-stage filtration:
- Ballu AP-430F7.
- Philips AC 4014.
- Atmos Vent-1550.
- Daikin MC70LVM.
- Tefal PU4025.
Why is dust bad?
Dust is detrimental to human health. Even inert particles can cause damage to the body, what can we say about chemically active ones? Our upper respiratory tract retains dust particles from 5-10 microns in size, but smaller ones penetrate deep into the lungs and accumulate there. As a result, tissues are damaged and chronic inflammation occurs, which can lead to disorders in the heart and blood vessels. According to WHO, about 3% of deaths from pulmonary and cardiac pathologies are associated with a large amount of fine particles in the air. In Russia, 6 to 17% of deaths are caused by high concentrations of dust particles in the air. Even if the minimum estimate is correct, these numbers are frightening.
Average price range (from 5,000 to 10,000 rubles)
The presence of several stages of cleaning, additional functions distinguishes devices of different price segments. More expensive models have more power, are able to work in apartments, as well as in cottages, offices.
Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2S
The Chinese brand cleaner is produced in the middle price segment. It can be placed on the floor or hung on the wall. The cleaning capacity is 310 cubic meters. m. per hour of work. There is a night mode with reduced noise level. The device can be switched on with a smartphone.
The air flow passes through 3 stages of purification: HEPA-, coal and biofilter. On the case there is an indication of the dust content, informing about humidity, temperature. The price is 8266 rubles.
- No air washer
- No timer, case backlight
- No ozonation, ionization
The Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2S model, driving the air flow through itself, cleans it as much as possible from dirt, fine dust, and odors. At the same time, outwardly it is simple, it does not have a timer display. It does not ozonize, does not ionize air masses. The price of the model is 8266 rubles.
The Ballu AP-155 home air purifier with a power of 1500 W is able to freshen the air in a room of 20 sq.m. Operating speed — 170 cu. m./hour. The model has a built-in pre-, HEPa-filter, carbon element. There is a display on the case, you can set the timer.
The device has the functions of ionization, air flow adjustment. It can be placed on the floor or hung on the wall. In Ballu AP-155 there is an indication of the inclusion and degree of contamination.
Disadvantages of the device:
- High noise level
- Fine filters do not trap all contaminants
- No child lock
Stylish design case Ballu AP-155 fits any interior. He has excellent control, there is a display, several degrees of cleaning. The cost of the model is 9,990 rubles. But in areas with heavily polluted air, it is better to buy a more powerful device.
One of the central features Incorrectly selected performance is fraught with unpleasant consequences: if you buy a device with insufficient cleaning capacity, then it simply will not do its job, the air will remain dirty, and if you buy a device with a very high indicator, it will consume a lot of electricity.
The calculation should be made based on the area of u200bu200bthe room and the height of the ceilings. It is believed that a good unit in one hour should drive the entire volume of air through itself at least twice.
According to the performance of the device are divided into:
- small — up to 200 g / hour;
- medium — 200 — 350 g / hour;
- elevated — more than 350 g / hour.
The technical documentation indicates for what area the device is intended, but it is better to play it safe and buy a model with a slightly larger indicator than required. So you can be sure of high-quality cleaning.
Proper use of devices will help extend their service life, so you should still familiarize yourself with the general provisions for operation:
- devices must be placed on a dry, level surface;
- if the device will not be used for a long time, it is best to use standard packaging for storage;
- the product must be in an accessible place for regular maintenance and cleaning;
- before connecting to the electrical network, you must make sure that its parameters match those of the purchased device.
Modern model with an ultraviolet lamp
⇡#Electronics and technology
With regard to control, all dust collectors are arranged quite simply. Power button, power control, as well as a separate button for turning on the UV lamp, if present. In the case of more sophisticated models, these may not be mechanical buttons, but touch ones, it is also common to see an LCD display, a timer, a remote control and filter control.
In general, when choosing a cleaner, both electrostatic and any other, it is hardly worth focusing on electronic bells and whistles. The main thing, we repeat, is the type of filter (or filters) that you eventually choose, as well as the area of u200bu200bthe room for which the device is designed.
Rating of the best devices
This rating presents four models that differ from each other in terms of functionality and cost. On these examples, you can clearly see that the devices are rarely equipped with any one type of purification. Usually it is a complex of different systems. Pay special attention to this model.
- Tefal Intense Pure Air PU4025F0
A device that combines several filters: pre-filter, HEPA, carbon, and an ionizer. This makes it possible to free the atmosphere from 99.97% of harmful impurities, neutralize formaldehyde and saturate the environment with air ions. Capable of handling up to 35 sq. m, while the productivity is 150 m³ / h. The sensor analyzes the state of the air and signals the situation using indicators. There are many options: night, turbo mode, timer, auto-off.
You will have to pay 16,000 rubles for it.
5 more popular models:
- Vitek VT-8554 for 5,990 rubles.
- Tefal Pure Air NanoCaptur PT3040F0 for 12,990 rubles.
- Vitek VT-8552 for 2,990 rubles.
- Vitek VT-8551 for 995 rubles.
- Tefal Intense Pure Air PU4025F0 for 13,990 rubles.