The pace of life and a lot of worries sometimes do not leave free time for visiting gyms and fitness rooms, as well as other sports facilities and events. The only way out is to buy a simulator at home — this way you will save time that you spend on the way to the rocking chair, and you will also be able to exercise when it suits you.
Types of elliptical trainers
There are the following types:
- Magnetic — the principle of operation is based on the properties of a magnet moving relative to the flywheel. During training, the course is smooth, because of which the muscles are not subjected to sudden movements, a low chance of injury. Such models are equipped with displays and built-in microcomputers, require connection to the mains;
- Electromagnetic — based on the electromagnetic braking force. The load can be adjusted in small intervals. Designed for cardio. The price is quite high, as is the effectiveness of the exercises that can be performed on them;
- Mechanical — the device comes into motion under the influence of human power. Load control adjusts the toggle switch. Not equipped with a display. The cost of such simulators is lower than digital analogues;
- Aeromagnetic — a generator is installed inside, supplying electricity to all the necessary nodes during training. No permanent power supply required.
The best manufacturers of elliptical trainers
When choosing, pay attention to the manufacturer. Trainers from well-known brands are distinguished by build quality, ergonomics and durability.
- HASTTING — present on the Russian market since 2010, prices from the middle segment to premium. The price range is from 30 to 150 thousand rubles.
- AMMITY is a Taiwanese company that manufactures home and professional models. The cost is in the range from 40 to 120 thousand rubles.
- Oxygen Fitness is a German fitness equipment company. Models are of high build quality, and the cost is achieved through production in Taiwan. Prices start at 13,500 rubles.
- Clear Fit — the company fell in love with athletes for one of the best price / quality ratios on the market. They produce cardio equipment, the cost is from 40 to 70 thousand rubles.
- Body Sculpture — specializes in the production of exercise equipment for the home. There are many budget models that are not inferior in performance to more expensive counterparts. The price is from 20 to 50 thousand rubles.
- NordicTrack is an American fitness and fitness equipment company. Models are constantly improved, investing in the development of production. Prices from 35 to 120 thousand rubles.
Why was the ellipsoid invented?
The treadmill has always been a good way to pass the time. Useful and once again useful — this is physical exercise. But what to do when a person cannot run? Yes, it happens. For example, when he has flat feet, but there are no orthopedic insoles (only in the last 20–30 years has it become possible to model and create individual insoles). Or when a person has sore joints.
Therefore, sports industry engineers decided to go further and set a goal to come up with something that would not put much stress on the joints, but would make the heart and muscles work for the benefit of health and for weight loss. This is how exercise bikes were born. Simple at first, then more intricate. Modern technologies have made it possible to put mp3 players, heart rate monitors, and various sensors on exercise bikes.
But what if it’s not enough just to pedal with your feet? Hands are not involved, one weight loss is not enough. Where can the hands work, as in running, at the same time, so that there is no shock-absorbing load (jumps) on the legs? So they came up with a design where there are 2 sticks and a kind of ski. The movement is carried out by the arms, body and legs.
The legs seem to press the “skis” into the floor. When you press in one ski, the other one rises. And so time after time. In addition, by moving the sticks towards you, or pushing them away in turn, you also make the “skis” move.
The result is an ellipsoid. Many people say that the ellipsoid imitates skis, but this is not entirely true. Those who are familiar with classic skiing will see the differences. Still, the skis slide on the snow. And then you push the pedals to the floor.
The best electromagnetic elliptical trainers
Proxima Latina 2
Proxima has developed a model for home use that will suit people of any height and physique.
The LCD display shows the necessary data, and there is also a function for automatically switching difficulty levels. The built-in flywheel weighs 20 kilograms, which is designed for 16 degrees of resistance. Built-in workout programs. Of the features, it is worth noting the automatic load reduction function — if the heart rate rhythm is exceeded, the system will automatically reduce the load.
Proxima Latina 2
- You can connect external media;
- Compactness and convenience;
- Does not make unnecessary sounds, works almost silently;
- Easy to manage;
- Automatic load reduction function;
- The pedals are strongly tilted forward, because of this, the load on the knees is increased.
Kettler Rivo 4
Full functionality, built-in training programs, as well as a convenient regulation system. The disadvantages include the pedal pitch — here it is in the range of 23-39 centimeters.
A plus is the personalization of individual profiles — set up 4 different profiles for the activities of each family member and take turns exercising.
Kettler Rivo 4
- Setting individual profiles;
- 15 resistance levels;
- There is a recovery function after classes;
- Control of excess heart rate;
- Small pedal pitch;
- Short wire.
UnixFit MV 420E
This model can be noted design — a good combination of colors, perfectly fit into the interior of the house. Suitable for any type of training, it has a step of 43 centimeters, and the weight of the flywheel here is 28 kilograms.
Built-in load levels are another plus, there are 24 of them here. You can customize the workout settings yourself.
Unixfit MV 420E
- Rugged construction;
- Pedals do not slip;
- Sensory cardiac sensors;
- Fitness test mode;
- Some programs almost duplicate each other.
What nuances should be considered when choosing?
Having decided on a specific type of ellipsoid, it is necessary to take into account some design features, the knowledge of which allows you to choose a truly high-quality and comfortable model.
Maximum loadsupported by most ellipsoids is 120 kg. The optimal indicator is considered to be 10-15 kg more than the own weight of a person who is going to exercise on the simulator.
Frame and body. A good device necessarily has a solid frame, and each part fits snugly against the other. There should not be any defects and backlashes. As the frame length increases, the degree of comfort and the length of the step taken increase. Stationary ones are stronger than folding ones, but the advantage of the latter is that they are easy to store and do not take up much space during training.
Flywheel. It is a wheel, thanks to which the pedal is set in motion. The more it weighs, the better. Heavy flywheels provide smooth movements and good loading. People with a weight of 95 or 100 kg should prefer flywheels of 15 kg, and more fragile — 8 kg.
Rear wheel drive or front wheel drive. The first ones differ in that the flywheel is located in the back of the ellipsoid, that is, right between the legs of the trainee. This makes them the most convenient for running with a forward torso and practicing skiing techniques. RWD ellipsoids can be used by people of all sizes, making it the perfect choice for the whole family. They are stable and small. Front-wheel drive models are more expensive than rear-wheel drive models, but according to some, they are much more effective in the fight against excess weight, since the distance between the pedals is minimal.
Step length. Directly depends on the physical form and individual characteristics. Beginners and people of small stature should purchase a model where the stride length is 30 cm. In the middle price category, ellipses with a 40 cm stride length are most common. The best for cardio training are simulators where this parameter starts at 50 cm, but they are exceptionally well-trained users.
Pedal angle. Changing this parameter is implemented exclusively in expensive models. It is essential for advanced users. It is recommended to change the angle of inclination only when all load modes are fully mastered in the standard position. Due to the change in the parameter, the group of muscles being worked out also changes.
In expensive models of elliptical trainers, the electronic display displays much more information than those presented in the average price range, and it is also possible to change the load, pulse-dependent programs are built in. The latter work due to pulse sensors connected to a person and included in the simulator kit.
Best Aeromagnetic Elliptical Trainers
Ammity Ocean OE 40
Representative of the premium segment for its price. Due to the unique built-in resistance system, it regulates the load itself depending on the applied efforts.
The design is strong, the stride length is high compared to other models — 51 centimeters. Suitable for athletes of any height, up to 2 meters. The maximum allowable weight also allows you to exercise with any body build — up to 180 kilograms. One of the best models available on the market.
Ammity Ocean OE 40
- 76 training programs, 24 load levels;
- Compact dimensions;
- Built-in bluetooth;
- Notifies when the permissible load is reached;
- Built-in fat analyzer;
- Large stride length and maximum allowable weight;
- Productive classes require a good level of initial physical fitness.
Bowflex Max Trainer M5
The model is suitable for intensive workouts aimed at the effect of rapid calorie burning. By increasing the load on the upper body, the effectiveness of training increases.
Compact, fits well into the home space and interior. Built-in 16 resistance levels and 8 training programs, there is also a 14-minute cycle that replaces cardio training.
Bowflex Max Trainer M5
- Can be synchronized with a smartphone;
- All training data is saved, you can keep statistics;
- The load on the joints is reduced;
- Rapid calorie burning;
- Comes with a cardio belt
- The price is 130 thousand rubles.
Unlike other cardio machines, ellipses have the following advantages:
- Increased efficiency in calories burned. In one hour of intense training, it takes from 540 to 800 Kcal. It all depends on the weight of the athlete and the applied diligence. As an analogue, we can cite as an example a set of exercises with a skipping rope for weight loss. In combination with different program options and equipment use, the ellipse is several times superior to other sports units.
- Engaging several muscle groups at once. The hips, tendons, calves, buttocks, arm muscles, etc. are included in the work. The simulator provides a continuous impulse of the whole body. It is designed in such a way that, with the correct position, all areas are involved without unnecessary load.
- Safe weight loss. People with a large body weight have to look for safe ways to get rid of extra pounds. Ellipse is the best for this. In the process, the athlete’s legs are constantly in contact with the machine, which limits the impact on the joints. The body loses weight, but without harm to health.
Interesting fact. Using an elliptical trainer, a person loses from 8 to 12 kilocalories per minute.
- Effective training for the cardiovascular system. Most models offer several programs for slow, moderate and fast pedaling. Taking into account the state of the heart, the athlete can choose the optimal load, avoiding fatigue and stress. Soft pumping of an important system has a beneficial effect on the general condition of the body, and also contributes to rapid fat burning.
- The presence of a reverse stroke mode — pumping hard-to-reach leg muscles that are not involved while moving forward.
- No need to involve a trainer to master the simulator. The equipment is intuitive. The amplitude of movements is predetermined — it has a natural character for a person. It is enough to spend only a few minutes on the elliptical trainer to figure out how to exercise at home in order to lose weight.
- Virtually no noise. Unlike a treadmill, exercising on an ellipsoid is comfortable. In the process, you can watch movies or listen to music. There is no extra noise.
Best mechanical elliptical trainers
One of the best budget models for the home. The seat is adjustable in height, with the help of a handle on the body, you can adjust the belt system. LCD screen displays workout data. The unit is powered by two batteries.
- Small size;
- Convenient adjustment of the seat and belt system;
- Poor functionality;
A good budget simulator for the home will cost only 7.5 thousand rubles. Powered by batteries, there is a function for adjusting the handrails. Flywheel weight — 2 kg. Suitable for beginners who do not want to spend a lot of money to buy an expensive ellipsoid.
- LCD screen shows workout data;
- Light in weight, only 22 kg;
- Battery powered;
- Poor functionality;
- There is no heart rate measurement function.
Sport Elite SE-8251
Budget model of a mechanical ellipsoid. Simple design, convenient to use. Powered by batteries. The pedals are equipped with a non-slip coating, which adds comfort during training.
Sport Elite SE-8251
- Sturdy steel construction;
- Transport rollers;
- Non-slip pedals;
- Battery powered;
- Poor functionality.